This beautiful city of Utter Predesh is situated on the Southern bank of eternal, peaceful Ganga, which is flowing majestically here. Every city on the banks of Ganga has a different story to tell us about the pride of the land and this place Kanpur is no exception. It is believed that this place is connected with Mahabaratha. One version says that this place is connected with Sri Krishna (Kanhiya), therefore the original name Kanhiyapur had come to known as Kanpur. By variation it is said that Duryodhana gifted this place to Karna, therefore the name Karnapur. Karnapur had latter come to be known as Kanpur. But Jajmau and Bithoor the two places near Kanpur have shown lot of evidences linking this places to the vedic times.
The recent excavation on the site Jajmau that is east of Kanpur and on the other bank of the river Ganga, tends to prove that the site is very ancient and perhaps dates back to vedic times. The place was in continues inhabitants from 600 BC to 1600 AD. As per the legends the fort in this site belongs to Yayati, a Chandravanchi king and eighth in succession to Lord Brahma and place is known as Sdiddhapuri in ancient days.
As per the legend the other place Bithoor which is situated about 20 Km upstream of the river Ganga is connected with Saint Valmiki and it is said that that it is here that Sita brought up her twin sons Lav and Kush in Valmiki Ashram. It is also said that it is here that Lord Brahma performed the Ashvamedha Yajna on the banks of Holy Ganga therefore this place was also known as Brahmavart. This historic town of Bithoor was once famous by the name of `Bavan Ghaton ki Nagri’ meaning “city of 52 Ghat (river banks)”. Today it is left with only 29ghats and place worth a bath in Holy Ganga.
( first documentary video on Bithoor, This place has both religious and historical history. Please Visit )
Kanpur was a tinderbox in the independence and literary movements during the 1900-1950 period. The largest shopping centre is named Navin Market, after the poet Bal Krishna Sharma aka "Navin". Later poets included Gopal Das "Niraj" who also had a successful spell writing songs for "Bollywood" movies. Kanpur is also the birth place of Shyamlal Gupta Parshad, composer of the famous ditty Vijayee Vishwa Tiranga Pyara. The propagation and popularization of Hindi also owes much to this city, with great Hindu literatteurs like Acharya Mahavir Parasad Dwivedi, Ganesh Shankar Vidyarthi, Pratap Narain Mishra and Acharya Gaya Prasad Shukla Sanehi. The Agricultural University is named after the revolutionary Chandrashekhar Azad and the Medical College after Ganesh Shanker Vidyarthi; both men spent much time in Kanpur. While ChandraShekhar Azad was born in a village in nearby district of Unnao and shot himself when surrounded by a huge posse of British soldiers at Alfred Park, Allahabad, Ganesh Shankar Vidyarthi was killed during the Hindu-Muslim riots of 1948 at Kanpur in Phoolbagh.
WAH WAH Kanpur...
Woh Naveen Market ka sama, woh Hanuman ki chaat,
Woh Wengers ki ice cream, Wah usme thi kuch baat.
Woh Mithaas ki mithai, woh iit ka dosa,
Woh Gyan Vaishno ki pav bhaji aur Shukla ka samosa.
Woh rikshaw ka saffer, woh Moti Jheel ki hawa,
Woh Buddha Park ki raunak aur Kent ka sama.
Woh January ki kadake ki sardi, woh baarishon ke mahiney,
Woh garmi ki chuttiyan, jab chute the they paseeney.
Woh holi ki masti, woh doston ki toli,
Woh Arya Nagar ka mahol, woh Ganga ki leheren,
Woh Bithoor ka nazara, Wah uske kya kehene.
Woh Swaroop Nagar ki galiyan , woh CSJM ki ladkiyan.
Woh COncorde ki balcony aur woh Jaisreeram ki pooriyan
Woh Aromas ka Chinese,woh Anaichas ka style
Woh school ki life aur woh College ki Zindagi,
Woh Polytechnic ka rasta aur woh Canteen ki patties ,.
Woh Gumti ka market,wo highway ke dhabe
Wo Bada chauraha , wo Central station...
Itna sab keh diya par dil kehta hai aur bhi kuch kahoon
Wo shehar hain apna, jiska naam hai K A N P U R
Sankisa lies in central Uttar Pradesh, 47 kms from Farrukhabad. It is believed to be the place where Buddha, along with Brahma and Devraj Indra descended after giving sermons to his mother in heaven.
At the spot of descent stands a temple with a statue of the Buddha. The place is also known for a temple dedicated to Bisari Devi and an excavated Ashokan Elephant Pillar.
There is also a colossal of Shravan (July-August). Nearest airport is Agra, and from there, by rail upto Pakhna (12 kms from Sankisa).
The Kanpur Memorial Church (All Soul's Cathedral)
The Kanpur Memorial Church built in 1875, was designed by Walter Granville. This Gothic style building has fine stained glass windows and interesting memorials. There is a Memorial Garden on the eastern side. There is a carved gothic screen, designed by Henry Yule and in the center there is a beautifully carved figure of an angel by Baron Carlo Marochetti, representing the 'symbol of peace'. The Cemetery has a number of graves from the late 19th century.
Jain Glass Temple
It is situated in Maheshwari Mohal behind the Kamla Tower. It is a beautiful temple highly decorated with glass and enamel works.
Jajmau, known as Siddhapuri in ancient times, is supposed to have been the kingdom of Yayati, the Pauranic king and the high mound overhanging the Ganga is known as the site of his fort.
Excavations of the Jajmau mound during 1957-58 unearthed antiquities ranging from 600 BC to 1600 AD. Now, Jajmau houses the Siddhnath and Siddha Devi temples and the mausoleum of Makhdum Shah Ala-ul-Haq, the famous Sufi saint, built by Firoz Shah Tughlaq in 1358. A mosque built by Kulich Khan in 1679 is also here.
Shri Radhakrishna Temple
This beautifully constructed temple is a unique blend of ancient and modern architecture. The even-level roofs of the mandaps have been provided with adequate ventilation for sufficient light and air. Among the five shrines in the temple, the central one is dedicated to Shri Radhakrishna and the others have idols of Shri Laxminarayan, Shri Ardhanarishwar, Shri Narmadeshwar and Shri Hanuman. This temple was built by J.K.Trust.
Phool Bagh (Ganesh Udyan)
It is a beautiful park in the heart of the city on the Mall Road. In the centre of the park there is a Ganesh Shanker Vidyarthi Memorial generally used for public meetings. The annual flower shows are held here. It has a Summer House and a large Public library.
Situated on Kamala Nehru road, Kamla Retreat houses a museum which has a good collection of historical and archaeological artifacts. Besides parks and a canal with facilities for boating, a zoo is also here. Visitors are allowed only with prior permission from:; Deputy General Manager (Administration), Kamla Tower, Kamalanagar, Kanpur, UP. Phone: 311478 & 311479.
Parks and Zoo
Nana Rao Park
Formerly known as Memorial Well Garden, it is the biggest park in Kanpur and is situated in the heart of the city on the Mall Road. After Independence, it has been renamed after Nana Rao Peshwa, the hero of the first War of independence in 1857. It is very beautifully laid out and has a plant nursery.
Brijendra Swarup Park
Situated in Aryanagar area of Kanpur, this park has spacious lawns and play grounds.
This is drinking water reservoir of Kanpur Waterworks. It is situated Benajhabar area of the city. The area around the Jheel or lake have lately been developed into a beautiful recreation grounds and children's park.
This is the best and most famous play ground of Kanpur. International Cricket matches are held here and it is one of the best pitches in the world.
Allen Forest Zoo
The Kanpur Zoo was opened in 1971 and ranks among one of the best zoos in the country. It is an ideal place for picnics in picturesque surroundings.